The incumbent is required to determine the value of land, and other real property, for purposes of sale, purchase or taxation, through the supervision of a team of technicians. Duties involve, evaluating land and neighbourhoods where property are situated, instructing staff in the application of unit value, computing final estimation of property values, examining the type and location of nearby services to evaluate their impact on property value. The incumbent also assists staff in resolving work related problems and undertake the inspection of higher value groups.
Minimum Experience and Training:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Estate Surveying or Bachelor of Science Degree in Property Valuation and Management; Diploma in Property Economics and successful completion of the final examination of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- Three (3) years’ experience in the valuation of real estate.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
All applications must include a cover letter, which clearly indicates the positions being applied for and should be addressed to:
- The Permanent Secretary
- Ministry of Finance
- Attention: Director, Human Resources
Your cover letter together with your Curriculum Vitae, academic qualifications and other relevant certifications, two (2) work-related references (where applicable), one (1) personal recommendation, and a Police Certificate of Character, or receipt thereof (no later than six (6) months old), are required and must be uploaded as a single pdf file (no greater that 10MB in size).
The deadline for submission of applications is 11:59 p.m. on Sunday 27th March, 2022.
Key and Critical Responsibilities
- Supervises a team of officers engaged in the inspection and recording of data relating to sales, purchases or rental of real estates by:
- Assigning work schedules
- Reviewing and monitoring work
- Approving leave application
- Providing guidance and support
- Appraising performance
- Recommending promotions
- Initiating disciplinary action
- Endorsing grievances
- Identifying training needs
- Recommending training.
- Determines taxability and value of properties using methods such as field inspection structural measurement, calculation sales analysis, market trend studies and income and expense analysis.
- Conducts market analyses of complex properties, by tracking of market trends through investigation of property transaction.
- Evaluates land and neighbourhoods where properties are situated, considering location and trends or impeding changes that could influence future values.
- Instructs and supervises staff in the application of unit value to the individual parcels to be valued and the modification factors to be considered.
- Computes final estimates of property values, taking into account such factors as depreciation, replacement costs , value comparisons of similar properties and income potential data base which is used as comparable to value other properties.
- Examine the type of location of nearby services such as shopping centres, school parks and other neighbourhood features in order to evaluate their impact on property values.
- Assists staff in resolving problems arising out of unusual valuation and personally inspect and undertakes the higher value groups such as hotels, development land and commercial buildings.
- Negotiates and settles compulsory acquisition of property and private treaty matters. This involves:
- Inspection, valuation and issuing offer to claimants.
- Writing to Claimant giving detail of agreement.
- Writing to Commissioner of State Lands when agreement is reached detailing under each the amount payable.
- Represent the division on Cabinet appointed committees by providing expertise advice on land matters.
- Certifies travelling claim of junior staff by checking and verifying staff diaries.
- Carries out staff appraisal for all subordinate staff.
- Participates in Division’s Strategic Planning Process by contributing to policy formulation in specific technical matters and implementation of all policy formulation.
- Conducts budget planning and review of needs within the Division.
- Attends national and international conferences and seminars, discuss relevant materials and experiences with the professional staff.
- Performs other duties related to job function which may be assigned from time to time.
- Sound analytical skills
- Sound communication skills
- Intermediate human relations skills
- Intermediate supervisory skills
- Intermediate computer skills
- Sound knowledge of valuation techniques and factors as applied to real property
- Sound knowledge of practices and terminology used in real estate and assessment work.