The Clerk of Works is responsible for the daily supervision and reporting on building works, equipment installations, repairs, servicing and other works as undertaken by contractors, vendors and suppliers engaged by the Authority.
The incumbent will be required to track the progress of projects, provide weekly reports, quantify works completed, verify contractor claims for payments, maintain daily records of all site activities, perform routine clerical functions and ensure that the Authority’s projects are completed in accordance with the National Building and HSSE Guidelines & Standards.
All activities must be geared towards maintaining the highest levels of service to all internal and external stakeholders and clients, must be sensitive to children’s issues, must conform to the guidelines and standards set by The Authority and to all legal, regulatory and statutory requirements.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Monitors and controls access to construction site(s) as necessary.
- Inspects and verifies that all materials delivered to the construction site comply with contractual requirements.
- Monitors, inspects and ensures workmanship and practices of contractors and/or crews engaged in construction are in accordance with required standards.
- Conducts on-going site inspections to ensure adherence to all building codes, plans and specifications.
- Witnesses testing and quality control activities to ensure compliance with contract requirements.
- Monitors cleanliness and general orderliness of construction site.
- Monitors construction work schedules to ensure they remain ‘on schedule’.
- Prepares and submits detailed reports on any deviations in workmanship, construction activity or schedules together with appropriate recommendations.
- Assists the FAHSSE Manager in the review and evaluation of project plans, specifications and designs submitted by contractors.
- Assists the FAHSSE Manager in verifying the quantum of works completed by each contractor.
- Assists the FAHSSE Manager with commissioning or updating the punch/snag list in the approved format.
- Monitors and ensures that site activities are in accordance with approved policies and procedures.
- Participates in project meetings as the Authority’s site representative as required and prepares/submits reports within the specified timeframe.
- Assists in the preparation of Scope of Works, Specifications and Cost Estimates for variations to the work in progress or for developing RFQs/RFPs.
- Facilitates site inspection(s) and monitoring for compliance with health and safety regulations, building codes and/or any other relevant regulations.
- Liaises with the HSSE Department to ensure that Health and Safety issues that are reported or observed are adequately actioned by the appropriate contractors within the agreed timeframes.
- Conducts routine site inspection(s) and advises the FAHSSE Manager of any deviations to Occupational Safety and Health Requirements Documentation of Records and Reports.
- Prepares and submits reports on all incidents and/or accidents occurring on the construction site in accordance with standard HSE procedures.
- Logs all activities of the construction site in the Daily Logbook in accordance with the Authority’s procedures and standards, including: 1. Visitors to the construction site. 2. Daily Weather; 3. Materials delivered to site; 4. Works conducted; 5. Incidents / Accidents; and 6. Security related matters.
- Prepares and submits daily/weekly/monthly reports on assigned project(s), utilizing the approved formats and within the agreed time frames.
- Performs other related duties.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Technician’s Diploma in Civil Engineering from an accredited academic institution.
- Certificate in OSH/HSE
- Certificate in Project Management or related field will be an asset.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a similar position.
- Any other equivalent combination of training and experience will be considered.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of OSHA regulations and guidelines.
- Working knowledge of laws and regulations governing construction projects.
- Working knowledge of Building Codes.
- Working knowledge of project management reporting techniques.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and software relevant to job functions.
Applicants should view full details of the position, in the Job Description, before submitting the following:
- A cover letter providing a brief description of suitability for the position
- A telephone contact number and email address
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae, which should include the names of two professional references with contact information
Interested persons are asked to adopt the following guidelines when submitting an application:
- Kindly submit your Resume and Cover Letter in one (1) document in either a word or pdf file.
- Applications are to be titled as the Candidate’s name, i.e. First Name and Last Name.
- Please apply via ONLINE only.
Applications must be submitted to:
The Human Resources Manager
Children’s Authority of Trinidad and Tobago
Corner Dere Street & Queens Park West, Port-of-Spain