The position of Legal Administrative Assistant has the responsibility and accountability for performing a variety of administrative and secretarial duties to assist the Legal Officers with effectuating debt collection and recovery actions. In addition, the job incumbent plays a key role in enhancing the effectiveness of the Legal Services Department by acting as an initial contact point for basic legal inquiries.
The job incumbent must possess working knowledge of legal procedures, legal terminology and of the content, organisation and format of legal documents and correspondence in order to perform the duties listed hereunder:
- Take instructions from the Attorneys and perform PRE-LITIGATION activities, inclusive of:
- Executing Company Searches.
- Preparing Pre-Action Protocol, as well as Indebtedness letters, Demand letters and Judgement Summons letters.
- Take instructions from Attorney and perform supporting activities during the active LITIGATION process by:
- Obtaining relevant documents from Clients to proceed with legal action.
- Preparing the requisite documentation to file and issue claims.
- Reviewing the listing/record of Debtors who have been served before preparing Application for Default Judgment for the Legal Officers.
- Compiling information and preparing documents such as Court Application, Judgments, Execution, Registration/Re-registration of Judgments, Notice of change of Attorney and Vacate of Judgment.
- Forwarding approved documents to the assigned Clerk to be filed /registered in the Courts.
- Attending the Court’s Registry for the purpose assigned by the Legal Officers.
- Take instructions from the Legal Officers and perform POST-LITIGATION activities, inclusive of preparing documents to file all full satisfaction and release of judgments.
- Answer incoming calls and address callers’ enquires, whenever possible. Re-direct/forward calls to the relevant Legal Officer and/or relay messages accurately. Consistently adhere to the Company’s established standards of service excellence when interacting with internal and external customers.
- Maintain the calendar for Legal Officers by scheduling, coordinating and confirming Court dates, appointments, tele-conferences and meetings.
- Establish and maintain effective electronic and physical filing systems to facilitate easy retrieval of legal documents.
- Perform routine clerical and administrative duties, such as printing, faxing, photocopying, posting letters and e-mailing documents both for and on behalf of the Legal Officers.
- Ensure the Legal Services Schedule is updated on the Company Credit & Debt Management System (CDMS) to accurately reflect the current status of all legal actions, as per the agreed timeframes.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned.
- A minimum five  GCE O’ Levels [Grade A, B or C] or five  CXC/CSEC General Proficiency [Grades I or II] [Mathematics and English compulsory]
- Certificate in Paralegal Studies or equivalent certification
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a similar position
- Working knowledge of general Court procedures and legal terminology
- Knowledge and understanding of standard Credit and Collections procedures would be considered an asset
- Proven experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications with particular emphasis on Word, Excel, Power Point & Outlook