The Trader is a position responsible for overseeing the Trading Desk and its book in coordination with the trading team, with the overall aim of generating risk-free revenue. He/She will be required to develop the business of Trading in Securities, fixed income instruments and its derivatives. The incumbent will be required to conduct trading activities including monitoring and reporting on a daily basis on activity and markets as well as aid in the overall running of the day-to-day activities of the Trading Desk.
- Monitors local and international markets for trading opportunities in Fixed Income Markets, across all currencies and all markets with the outlook to eventually oversee, equities, locally, regionally and internationally.
- Works closely with the Associate, Sales & Trading to Trade a portfolio of Fixed Income instruments and its derivatives, and eventually equities, across varying currencies in accordance with the Board approved Trading Policy and its risk parameters.
- Analyzes market conditions to determine optimum times to execute transactions to maximize profits
- Supplies latest prices or market discovery to clients and team.
- Researches and prepare reports on local, regional and international interest rate environments in conjunction with the research team.
- Manages and work with marketing team to spot and/or create opportunities to trade.
- Works with clients to learn and understand their financial goals by accurately identifying and purchasing or selling fixed income products for them.
- Maintains key counterparty/client relationships with Brokers/ Dealers, other Financial Institutions, along with local, regional and foreign customers.
- Manages daily trading and coordination of activities with middle office to ensure timely execution of orders, whilst confirming that they are compliant with regulatory policies.
- Ensures the documentation of each trade done by oneself and team while maintaining up to date account records. Also, one is required to maintain and update inventory records of fixed income securities where applicable.
- Identifies and leverage on opportunities by seeking or developing innovative trading ideas and making entry into new markets.
- Reports to Management and Investment Committees monthly on trade activities/progress versus budgeted and on portfolio holdings, if any.
Qualifications & Experience:
- University Degree in Economics or Finance
- 5-7 years’ experience in trading local and international securities
- Microsoft Office Suite i.e. Word, Excel, Access
- ACCURACY – Numerical reasoning; arithmetic computation; using tables and graphs. Ensures that data presented is free from error.
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL – Deep knowledge of financial markets. Robust understanding of risk assessment. Thoroughness in accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved, no matter how small. Monitors and checks work or information and plans and organizes time and resources efficiently.
- COMMUNICATION: OPEN – Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills. Creates an atmosphere in which timely and high-quality information flows smoothly up and down, inside and outside; encourages open expression of ideas and opinions.
- COMMUNICATION: ORAL and WRITTEN – Effectively transfers thoughts and expresses ideas orally or verbally in individual or group situations.
- CUSTOMER FOCUS – Making customers and their needs a primary focus of one\\\’s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships. Able to recommend solutions based on investor needs and risk tolerance. In-depth understanding of the sales process.
- DRIVE FOR RESULTS – Demonstrates concern for achieving or surpassing results against an internal or external standard of excellence.
- DECISION MAKING – Applies guidelines and procedures that require some interpretation in dealing with exception.
How to apply:
These are the requirements for applying for this job:
- Do you have a BSc. Finance/Economics?
- Do you have at least 5 to 7 years experience in trading local and international securities?