The incumbent in this managerial position is responsible for overseeing the performance and service delivery standards of the Accounting & Finance Unit which include the key functions of financial reporting, financial system support, ledger maintenance and reconciliation, maintenance of TCIG Manuals and providing advice and support to ensure Ministries comply with the financial ordinances, regulations, directives or instructions
The incumbent will provide impartial, accurate and timely advice when requested by the Accountant General.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Job Holder will oversee performance and service delivery standards in the Accounting & Finance Unit and assisting the Accountant General in the operations of the Department. This includes:
- Principally responsible to the Accountant General in leading the preparation and consolidation of financial statements for the whole of TCIG and the provision of technical accounting advice concerning generally accepted accounting practice and its application throughout TCIG.
- Principally responsible for the accuracy of the financial data within Smart Stream, Carrying out regular review and reconciliation of balances (especially revenue cash account and bank accounts), liaising with other Managers to obtain relevant information and reports in support of these balances. Includes maintaining adequate work papers and files to meet the requirements of audit.
- Required to provide assistance to the Accountant General in the discharge of the following statutory and other obligations –
- The compilation and management of the monthly, quarterly and annual accounts of Government.
- The management of Cash Flows including the preparation & monitoring of a 13 week rolling cash flow forecast and weekly cash flows to ensure efficient cash management and sufficient funds for expenditure items, capital budgets and major project plans.
- The submission of annual accounts to the Minister responsible for finance and the Auditor General.
- The focal point for support to the Minister of Finance and Permanent Secretary of Finance in resolving audit issues.
- The determination of the basis of accounting and the classification system for each government department, fund, and public entity.
- The preparation of the Accountant General’s annual report to the Minister responsible for finance.
- The monitoring of regional and international developments in good accounting practice with a view to their potential implementation in TCIG and its statutory bodies
- Monitoring and supervision of the support staff for Smart Stream to ensure that the system is properly managed, updated and maintained with support and training provided to the system users.
- The compilation and maintenance of the TCIG Finance Manual containing financial and accounting policies, instructions and procedures from –
- The Framework Document issued under Section 109 of Turks and Caicos Islands Constitution Order 2011
- The borrowing guidelines agreed with Her Majesty’s Government in the United Kingdom under Section 119 of Turks and Caicos Islands Constitution Order 2011
- Instructions and directives issued by the Minister of Finance
- Instructions from the Permanent Secretary Finance
- Instructions from the Accountant General
- Required to assist the Accountant General by providing advice, information and support in the following –
- The content of general or specific accounting instructions to accounting officers or the chief executives of public entities of a general nature or more specifically in respect of matters arising for statutory obligations.
- The reporting of any apparent defect in financial control, non-observance of the financial ordinances, regulations, directives or instructions.
- Adhere to all Public Service codes, rules and regulations
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE:
§ An Undergraduate degree in accountancy (BSc/BCom/BBA).
§ Professional accountancy qualification (CA, ACCA, CIPFA, CPA or equivalent) - desirable
§ A Master’s degree in financial management and accounting (desirable).
The position requires at least six (6) years hands-on experience four (4) of which should have been obtained at a management level.
§ Intermediate public financial management skills.
§ Intermediate leadership and organisational development skills.
§ Computer literacy and familiarity with accounting software packages.
§ Sound knowledge of Microsoft software applications in particular excel
SALARY: Grade 9.1 - $59,552.50 per annum
Resumes with current contact information must be accompanied by a Cover Letter and two letters of reference (one preferably from a former employer) as well as copies of educational certificates and a copy of the Passport photo page, National Turks & Caicos Islander Status Card (where applicable). Shortlisted candidates must submit a Police Certificate.
Applications should be addressed to The Director, Office of the Human Resource Management Directorate, Church Folly, Grand Turk. Applications can be hand delivered, Faxed to 946-1582 or sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hand delivered and fax applications must have clearly marked on the envelope/fax cover sheet the Job Title of position being applied for. On emailed applications the subject line must reference the Job Reference Number (LSB7-21-10) and the Job Title.
Current serving officers must apply through their Head of Department.
Applications without all supporting documents will not be processed.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only persons selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Closing Date: FRIDAY 7TH JANUARY, 2022