Is to oversee and evaluate the trapping operations of the animal welfare unit and enforcement of animal control ordinances. To investigate cases of mistreatment, nuisance and other breaches of the animal control ordinances. To control abandoned, dangerous, feral, stray and unattended animals. To enforce the Plant Health Act and Subsidiary regulations with the goal of preventing the ingress and spread of plant pests and diseases of quarantine significance.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Pre-clearances, posts entry quarantine of agriculture articles
- Enforces by way of inspections, the regulatory system for control of inter-island movement of plants and animals, plant and animal products and by-products, and other materials within and out of the Turks and Caicos Islands
- Plans, conducts and/or supervises various treatments and remedial measures, such as disinfection, sterilization, fumigation, hot and cold water treatments, irradiation of regulated articles for plant and animal pest and diseases; validates treatments and identifies when regulated sites, facilities and commodities shall be inspected or re-inspected.
- Captures and removes stray, uncontrolled, feral or abused animals from undesirable situations, using nets, traps, snares or tranquilizer darts as necessary
- Euthanizes diseased (diseases of public health and veterinary public health significance), unclaimed or severely injured animals
- Properly examine documents for the issuance of dog licences
- Examines animal licences and inspect establishments housing animals for compliance with the animal health and animal welfare laws.
- Examines animals for injuries or malnourishment and arrange for all necessary veterinary treatment.
- Investigating reports of animal attacks, animal cruelty or animal nuisances.
- Conducting witness interviews, evidence collection and report writing.
- Issues warnings as it relates to breaches of animal welfare and other related offenses or contact the police to request arrests where appropriate.
- Writes reports of activities and maintain files of impoundments and disposition of animals.
- Answers inquiries from the public as it relates to animal control operations.
- Contacts animal owners to inform them of their pets at the animal holding facilities.
- Educates the public about animal welfare, animal control, plant health laws and regulations
- Provides professional management and supervision for day-to-day facility operations and staff to include prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff are trained and follow policies and procedures; and maintaining a healthy and safe working environment.
- Adheres to all Public Service codes, rules and regulations.
- Performs any other functions assigned by superiors.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelors degree or Diploma in Animal Science, Animal Health or Veterinary Public Health or equivalent and
· Bachelors degree or Diploma or Certificate in General Agriculture
· At least three (3) years working experience doing inspections of plant and animal products and working with animal welfare organisation, humane society or their equivalent
SALARY: Grade 6.1 $33,415.00 per annum plus allowances
Resumes with current contact information must be accompanied by a Cover Letter and two letters of reference (one preferably from a former employer) as well as copies of educational certificates and a copy of the Passport photo page. Shortlisted candidates must submit a Police Certificate.
Applications should be addressed to The Director, Office of the Human Resource Management Directorate, Church Folly, Grand Turk. Applications can be hand delivered, Faxed to 946-1582 or sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hand delivered and fax applications must have clearly marked on the envelope/fax cover sheet the Job Title of position being applied for. On emailed applications the subject line must reference the Job Reference Number (CFB7-21-40) and the Job Title.
Current serving officers must apply through their Head of Department.
Applications without supporting documents will not be processed
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only persons selected for an interview will be contacted.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 7TH JANUARY 2022