This is a supervisory position within the Animal Health Services Division. The job holder works under the direction of the Chief Veterinary Officer assists in the provision of clinical and regulatory services, veterinary public health, inspections, control of zoonotic diseases to ensure the protection of the health and safety of the public, oversees and evaluate the trapping operations of the animal welfare unit and assist in the enforcement of animal control ordinances. The job holder assists in a wide range of veterinary work such as animal disease testing, sample collections, and in the prevention and eradication of livestock diseases.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Enforce the Ordinances and regulations that pertain to animal health and animal welfare and control administered by the Animal Health Division;
- Inspect abattoirs, livestock farms and livestock markets in the country for compliance with Animal Health Ordinance and Regulations regarding proper ownership documentation and animal health;
- Inspect and perform regular visits to animal establishments e.g., commercial breeders, pet shops, kennels, animal shelters, all animal establishments, veterinary clinics and other related facilities for proper licensure and compliance with animal welfare and the Animal Health Ordinance and Regulations;
- Assist with the extension service providing and educating farmers with good farm practices, good husbandry practices, herd health plans and render veterinary treatment in the absence of a veterinarian;
- Investigating reports of animal attacks, animal cruelty or animal nuisances by conducting witness interviews, evidence collection and report writing;
- Issue warnings under the direction of the Chief Veterinarian as it relates to breaches of animal welfare and other related offenses or contact the police to request arrests where appropriate;
- Euthanizing trapped and diseased (diseases of public health and veterinary public health significance), unclaimed or severely injured animals under the directive and monitoring of the CVO;
- Assisting with trapping schedules and recording dogs trapped by areas;
- Educate and Answer inquiries from the public as it relates to animal control operations, animal control laws and regulations;
- Carry out inspections on live animals, animal products and by-products, and other controlled commodities, coming into the country when required;
- Gather field collection of surveillance and other forms of data from farms and other animal establishments;
- Assist with clinics and surgeries when requested;
- Prepare and submit activity, inspection, investigation reports as required and organize weekly work activities to achieve established goals;
- Adhere to all Public Service codes, rules and regulations; and
- Perform other related work as assigned by the supervisor
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Veterinary Public Health, Animal Health, Agriculture Science or Associate’s Degree in Veterinary Technology or equivalent
- 3-4 years working experience in the field of Veterinary Public Health or Agriculture Science
- Technical experience in the livestock industry and regulatory work
- Technical experience in the companion animal industry
- Technical experience in animal welfare and control
SALARY – Grade 6 $33,415.00 per annum
Resumes with current contact information must be accompanied by a Cover Letter and two letters of reference (one preferably from a former employer) as well as copies of educational certificates and a copy of the Passport photo page, National Turks & Caicos Islander Status Card (where applicable). Shortlisted candidates must submit a Police Certificate.
Applications should be addressed to The Director, Office of the Human Resource Management Directorate, Church Folly, Grand Turk. Applications can be hand delivered, Faxed to 946-1582 or sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hand delivered and fax applications must have clearly marked on the envelope/fax cover sheet the Job Title of position being applied for. On emailed applications the subject line must reference the Job Reference Number (CFB7-21-39) and the Job Title.
Current serving officers must apply through their Head of Department
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only persons selected for an interview will be contacted.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 7TH JANUARY 2022