Senior level engineer to provide Scala, Python and/or Java based microservice development within an AWS environment and associated technical support typically in a defined technology platform. Develops moderate to complex program logic for new applications or analyzes and modifies logic in existing applications. Architects, codes, tests, debugs, documents, implements and maintains “big data” software applications in the cloud. Analyzes requirements, and maintains, tests, and integrates application components. Ensures that system improvements are successfully implemented. Requires senior level engineering skills and typically at least 5 years of previous industry experience.
On-call responsibilities are required and estimated at 1 week every 2 months.
Required: Strong JAVA skills, the ability to code complex functions, AWS, REST, Microservices
Preferred: Scala, Java 8+, experience with databases and data stores (SQL, Dynamo DB, Redis)
Helpful: Clojure, Spark, Web technologies
• Why is this position open? Growth on the team, turn over, skills gap?
Growth of team responsibilities
• Location of this role (CC, North Campus, Chesterfield, etc)?
• What is a day like in this role? What 3-5 responsibilities will occupy their time?
This is a senior level software engineering role.
• Who will this person work with on a daily basis?
My team and others in the Climate engineering organization.
• Tell me about the team dynamic/culture.
We have a modern culture and team dynamic. We work hard and have fun. We help each other out when there are issues. All team members contribute to the success of the team.
• What are the ‘must haves’ to be successful in this role?
Java and strong complex coding skills are a must have.
• What is the long term plan for the role?
We would like the opportunity to convert the person to full time if they desire it and if they meet expectations. Ideally the importance of this role will grow as domain expertise grows.
• What will make this opportunity stand out for potential candidates?
Climate has a positive, supportive work environment. The skills the successful candidate will learn are relevant and the problems we are solving are challenging and meaningful.
• Is this more maintenance or new development work?
Both, primarily new development, but we all take turns doing maintenance.
• What kind of soft skills are you looking for?
Excellent communication skills, team player, flexible
• Are you open to candidates relocating (on their own) or do you prefer local candidates?
This person can be remote or in person
• What is the minimum number of years of experience required for this position?
Ideally 5 years’ experience in software engineering.
• What is the minimum level of education needed for this position?
BS in Computer Science is preferred but not required if candidate has commensurate experience .
• Any certifications required for this role?
• Is there a possibility for an extension of this assignment?
• Will this position convert to a FTE Role?
• Does anyone need to be associated with this requisition to help review resumes or schedule interviews?
• Do you have an Admin that will help with the onboarding process?
The team will onboard the individual.
• What is the interview process, will you schedule a phone screen, video conference or in person interviews?
I will review resumes. For qualified candidates I will do a phone screen to see if they are competent to be interviewed by our more experienced engineers. Then we'll do an interview with a coding exercise. After that interview we will make a decision.
• Will you be OOO anytime soon?
Per our client’s policy, individuals hired for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless otherwise prohibited by law. We comply with federal, state and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.