Ministry of Social Development and Family Services in Trinidad and Tobago is hiring a Head Investigation and Compliance on Caribjob today.
More details about this job are below:
The holder of this position will be responsible for developing and implementing the investigations and compliance programme of the Ministry by conducting annual risk assessments, developing the annual investigations, legal and compliance strategy and working with the Executive Team and Divisions to address their specific compliance risks. He/She will ensure that the standards for investigations and compliance are maintained; lead internal training and communication initiatives relative to investigations and compliance; and represent the Unit with internal and external stakeholders.
Key and Critical Responsibilities
The incumbent will be responsible for:
Leadership, Management & Governance
- Establishes the Investigations and Compliance Unit of the Ministry and determining its strategic direction, in collaboration with team members, the Executive and other Heads;
- Develops the Work Programme of the Unit, including planning investigations as well as auditing, monitoring and other compliance-related activities;
- Manages the day to day operations of the Investigations and Compliance Unit including scheduling work assignments of the team, hosting or facilitating meetings and briefings, undertaking monitoring and evaluation activities and preparing updates and status reports.
- Prepares Final and/or annual reports on the work of the Unit including investigations, assessments, audits, special projects, ethics trends and opportunities for compliance and ethics programme improvements;
- Works with the Executive Team and Divisional Heads including Finance, Social Welfare, National Social Development Programme (NSDP), National Family Services and others, to identify their unique risks and recommend solutions for implementation;
- Ensures that violations of public service regulations, ethics and compliance rules, policies or procedures of the Ministry are investigated and resolved in an effective and efficient manner that fosters a strong ethical culture;
- Leads in-house team collaborations related to investigations and compliance matters; and
- Conducts random assessments of the performance of the Unit sections, ensuring that they are consistent with Ministry’s legislative and policy frameworks.
Policy & Strategy
- Initiates, develops and leads the implementation of anti-fraud and investigative strategies, policies and procedures;
- Oversees the development of compliance and risk policies by the Unit Sections
- Advances a culture of integrity by developing and overseeing a Whistle blower initiative, designing and communication materials, training and other activities to address the Ministry’s unique and complex structure; and
- Develops and implements strategies for effectively investigating relevant compliance matters, benchmarking the Ministry’s investigation processes and training, coaching, mentoring and supporting the investigations leaders to ensure that they perform in accordance with public service standards and international best practices.
Communication & Relationship Management
- Serves as the investigations and compliance adviser to the Ministry’s legal team and Divisional Heads to resolve difficult legal and compliance issues and performing the role of subject matter expert, leading the company's investigations and compliance programme with a strong focus on third party due diligence, auditing, monitoring and training;
- Manages vendor and other external relationships that support the efforts of the compliance program and serving as the representative with external stakeholders on issues involving compliance, ethics and investigations;
- Develops and deploys policies, processes and communications to screen third party intermediaries, agents, consultants and contractors efficiently and effectively for compliance risks; and
- Collaborates with the Corporate Communications and Education and other Units to develop a communications programme for the Ministry’s stakeholders that contributes to an in-depth understanding of the risks, emerging issues and solutions faced by the Ministry.
- Conducting and overseeing complex, time-sensitive investigations, in collaboration with the Section Heads of the Unit;
- Prepares reports, presentations and other publications to communicate the results of investigations to relevant parties;
- Participates in Internal Audit audits/assessments where required, lending expertise and experience to other team members;
- Supervises the work programme of the Unit’s legal team, ensuring that their work is consistent with the immediate and emerging needs of the Unit;
- Develops content for online and classroom training, partnering collaboratively with human resources to deliver the training to employees in higher risk positions and documenting third party due diligence processes in order to migrate them to the relevant team thereby facilitating efficient operations.
- Any other related matters.
- At least seven (7) years in a progressive managerial role, including a significant compliance or legal caseload or in a corporate or governmental role with progressive experience with investigations and ethics.
- Experience conducting audits, investigations, and special projects, particularly in a public sector environment.
- Knowledge of, and the ability to interpret and apply, public sector laws, regulations, policies and procedures to complex and diverse fact scenarios related to the Ministry’s operations.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise with detecting and presenting investigative findings, trends or patterns at a high level and in detail, as required by the audience. Ability to use investigative findings, trends or patterns to develop and implement recommendations to proactively prevent wrongdoing or fraud.
- Ability to manage complex compliance matters utilizing sound judgment and objectivity; methodical decision making; robust attention to detail; solid analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to proactively identify risks, analyze root causes of noncompliance and provide viable and practical alternatives to resolving problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills that are effective, with the appropriate tact and diplomacy for all levels of the organization as well as for external stakeholders including government officials and vulnerable citizens.
- Respect for confidentiality and the ability to manage confidential information with discretion is of critical importance. Superior personal integrity and moral compass, including an exceptional sense of discretion. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work across silos and facilitate opposing viewpoints in a cordial manner are also very important.
- Experience in closely managing budgets and resources and reporting progress and risks to senior leadership.
- Excellent leadership, coaching and mentoring skills.
- Ability to work independently and define own priorities and delegate tasks, working on multiple projects according to specific timelines and deadlines. Must be available at various hours and locations, based on organizational need.
- Experience with change management initiatives and strategies will be a definite asset.
- Undergraduate Degree in Law, Public Sector Management, Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, Social Sciences, Risk Management, Professional Accounting Qualification or equivalent from a recognized institution.
- A post graduate degree in any of the areas mentioned above.
- Additional Certification in Investigations, Risk Assessment, Compliance, Auditing, Operations or Project Management would be a definite asset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- At least 10 years’ experience in conducting investigations, policing, quality assurance, compliance.