Virgin Islands Waste Management Authority (VIWMA) in US Virgin Islands is hiring a Landfill Manager on Caribjob today.
More details about the job are below:
Responsible for the daily operation, maintenance and regulatory compliance of an Authority landfill, transfer station and support facilities. Responsible for overseeing the landfill contractor(s) and effectively managing the Authority staff assigned to the landfill, transfer station and support facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the daily operation of an Authority landfill.
- Leads, directs, and manages Authority staff involved in operating and maintaining the landfill, transfer station and the support facilities.
- Makes work assignments, schedules work, and directly oversees employee performance.
- Supervises the landfill contractor(s) and implementing and/or enforcing the Authority’s contracts.
- Ensures the contractor meets environmental and safety standards.
- Oversees the daily placement of waste, waste compaction, and the application of daily cover.
- Maintains compliance with applicable environmental requirements.
- Maintains safe and productive worksites.
- Ensures the proper training of all assigned staff.
- Insures that assigned equipment is well maintained and available when required.
- Implements, trains, and coordinates the Landfill Emergency Response Plan.
- Responsible for assigning specific plan responsibilities and ensuring required equipment is present and operable.
- Conducts regular drills and training sessions and coordinates closely with outside emergency responders.
- Conducts daily inspections of the landfill site and documenting the inspection results in the landfill operations log.
- Conducts random daily waste load inspections, rejecting prohibited wastes, and documenting the daily inspection results.
- Makes final decisions on the acceptability of waste materials for disposal in the landfill.
- Assesses landfill security and, working with management to develop a strategy to ensure site security (as required).
- Assists in the implementation of required studies and compliance improvements. Provides input for the capital improvement plan.
- Ensures that proper records are maintained for incoming loads, inspections, security inspections and breaches, maintenance, fuel consumption, operating time, and other important operating records.
- Hosts all regulatory inspections at the sites and cooperates with all government requests for information and data.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school or GED diploma is required.
- Degree from a 2-year or 4-year college is desirable.
- Landfill operator certification is required or the ability to obtain certification in two years.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience including at least one year of supervisory experience managing a landfill, transfer station or environmental service activity.
- Knowledge of the Territory is preferred.
- Acceptability of occasionally travel is required.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Virgin Islands Waste Management Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply
Please send your resume and completed employment application to *****@viwma.org or mail or drop off your documents to 3200 Demarara, St. Thomas, VI 00802. Each question must be fully and accurately answered. Incomplete, illegible or unsigned applications will not be considered.