El Dorado Offshore in Guyana is hiring a Custom Clerk I on Caribjob today.
More details about this job are below:
The Customs Clerk must have a thorough knowledge of customs laws and procedures to physically lodge documents and customs clear cargo at the Ports or Bonded warehouses. The incumbent must utilize sound judgment and discretion in completing their duties as a Customs Clerk I.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Receive and review all clearance documents.
2. Screen documents thoroughly for errors before lodging with Customs for examination.
3. Report all issues relating to documents encountered during the examination process to your Supervisor.
4. Make payment for the entries at the Ports or Bonds.
5. Uplift deliveries at the Ports or Bonds
6. Ensure all cargo is counted and quantities accounted for during examination of containers before signing cargo for delivery to the client.
7. Ensure all Proof of Deliveries (POD’s) are completed and signed before being given to the client.
8. Ensure all paid receipts and signed Proof of Deliveries (POD’s) are returned to the office and updated to Laser the day after clearance.
9. Attend to queries at customs and assist where necessary.
10. Oversee the opening of containers at the City Executive Solutions Limited (CES) station for examination.
11. Record all short or damaged cargo and have the Port prepare a report.
12. Ensure cargo is verified at Bond upon clearance and loaded truck are photographed as proof that it was loaded correctly and accountability of all cargo.
13. Report and photograph all damaged cargo immediately.
14. Any other related duties that may be required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• A minimum of five subjects CSEC, inclusive of passes in English Language and Mathematics.
• A previous apprenticeship to a Licensed Customs Agent will be considered an asset.
• A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a similar position.
• Observe all health and safety rules and regulations.
• Stop all work if any unsafe conditions exist or unsafe practices are observed.
• Report any unsafe conditions or practices to your Supervisor.
• Understand how to perform jobs assigned in accordance with operating procedures and/or work instructions.
• Do not undertake any job you do not understand – ask your immediate Supervisor once there is any doubt.
• Wear and use all safety equipment required to ensure the safe execution of the specific job
• Participate in mandatory toolbox meetings, safety meetings and training sessions (internal and/or external) as required.
• Report all incidents immediately to your Supervisor.
• Cooperate during incident investigations so that the incident causes can be determined, and corrective action taken; and
• Tag and report all defective tools or equipment immediately.
• Follow and maintain Company standards of Quality in accordance with Company Quality System requirements.
• Adhere to the guidelines stated in the Policy Manual.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, CHARACTERISTICS:
• Enjoyable to work with - especially with direct team members.
• Highly reliable - your Supervisor and co-workers must have confidence that when assigned a task, you will get it done in a timely manner with a high quality of work.
• Management of time and tasks – can work on multiple tasks, meet KPIs, reorganize and work on high priority tasks, handover tasks when going on leave.
• Technical Analysis of requests - quickly process and understand demands, identify where external assistance is needed, document concisely and clearly what is required, plan how to respond.
• Problem solving - suggest recommended actions rather than ask for help, come up with innovative ideas, pre-emptively identify issues with existing procedures and implement solutions.
• Quality Assurance – Quickly picks up technical errors, typos, issues with sentence construction, gaps in logic, incorrect or missing pricing whilst reviewing requests, quotes, and technical proposals
• Teamwork and Emotional Intelligence - work well with others in the department, work well with other departments, build mutual trust and respect, develop strong professional relationships with others in the company, display emotional intelligence when dealing with others.
• MS Office - Intermediate to Advance in the use of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams.
• Physical demand - Primarily office.
• May attend virtual or in-person conferences, workshops, meetings, etc.
• Will be required to be on site visits from time to time (shore base, ports, vessels, etc).