Virgin Islands Water & Power Authority in US Virgin Islands is hiring a Water Systems Maintenance Supervisor on Caribjob today.
More details about the job are below:
The Water Systems Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for supervising crews engaged in installing, maintaining, repairing and servicing water distribution pipelines system.
Because the Authority has a primary responsibility to serve the public 24 hours per day, an employee in this class is expected to work overtime as conditions demand and on short notice during emergency conditions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assigns work and coordinates crews involved in excavating and backfilling trenches, installing and replacing water mains, joining and caulking pipelines and repairing valves. Supervises installation and repairs to all main water lines and new installation of water meter and valves.
- Supervises repairs to broken water mains in an efficient manner to prevent water loss; excavates roads to locate water mains; resurfaces disconnections within a limited time.
- Inspects work to determine conformance with specifications; prepares reports to indicate use of manpower time records, work progress and use of materials.
- Ensures that tools, equipment and work area are maintained in a clean and orderly manner; also that employees observe all safety rules and regulations.
- Confers with personnel in V.I. Public Safety Department and other agencies to coordinate work schedule on roads and highways.
- Trains and orients new employees to the routines of the operations; interprets company policies on workers; maintains time and production records; recommends measures to improve production methods and equipment performance.
- Supervises the sale of water at standpipe and oversees recordkeeping of each sale.
- Prepares purchase requisitions to obtain materials and supplies.
- Evaluates employees work performance and makes recommendations for improving and upgrading their skills.
- Initiates or recommends personnel action such as promotions, transfers, disciplinary measures.
- Prepares time and attendance reports.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the safety rules, practices and procedures applicable to the work.
- Thorough knowledge of water line maintenance and water line construction functions.
- Knowledge of personal computers and different software applications.
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings and sketches.
- Ability to write legibly and prepare reports.
- Ability to supervise and instruct employees in water line maintenance work.
- Knowledge of the geography and street locations of the island.
- Ability to make simple arithmetic computations accurately.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with the general public.
Education & Experience
High school diploma including or supplemented by courses in the mechanical and metal trades and seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in wells and water distribution system maintenance.