Virgin Islands Water & Power Authority in US Virgin Islands is hiring a Substations Manager on Caribjob today.
More details about the job are below:
Under general direction of the Director of Transmission and Distribution, the Substations Manager plans, directs and coordinates activities of the Substation Department to ensure that the substations throughout the entire territory are properly operated and maintained, and that goals and objectives of projects are accomplished within prescribed time frames and funding parameters.
Because the Authority has a primary responsibility to serve the public 24 hours per day, an employee in this class is expected to work overtime as conditions demand and on short notice during emergency conditions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs all related operations and maintenance activities within the substations, including but not limited to the following: calibration of relays, appropriate maintenance and record-keeping of all equipment such as transformers, breakers, switches, remote and local controls, insulators, bus-bars, oil quality testing, etc.
- Reviews substation plans to determine the time frame, funding limitations, procedures for accomplishing project, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of project
- Establishes work plan and staffing for each phase of substations projects and arranges for recruitment or assignment of personnel
- Confers with department staff to outline work plan and to assign duties, responsibilities, and scope of authority
- Directs and coordinates activities of department personnel to ensure project progresses on schedule and within prescribed budget.
- Reviews status reports prepared by department personnel and modifies schedules or plans as required
- Confers with department personnel to provide technical advice and to resolve problems
- Coordinates project activities with activities of government regulatory or other governmental agencies
- Prepares or directs preparation and modification of reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, and designs for substations
- Inspects construction and maintenance activities at substations site
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to prepare and design engineering documents
- Evaluates and approves design changes, specifications and drawing releases
- Controls expenditures within limitations of project budget
- Prepares interim and completion project reports
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of personal computers and different engineering software programs
- Thorough knowledge of modern electrical substation facilities and the construction thereof, including safety standards utilized in such construction as essential
- Sound knowledge of transmission and distribution systems
- Sound knowledge of field construction methods and contractual procedures
- Ability to maintain adequate records both technical and administrative with respect to substation operations and construction
- Ability to analyze statistical data and to prepare complex reports
- Ability to develop written procedures to facilitate environmental compliance throughout the substation
- Ability to read, interpret and work from complex blueprints and specifications
- Ability to convey information and ideas clearly and both orally and graphically
- Ability to express oneself in a clear and concise manner in oral and written communication
- Ability to analyze a problem, suggest a solution, and to supervise professional employees
- Ability to form and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the general public
Education & Experience
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in substations and transmission and distribution related activities.