The Nature Conservancy in Bahamas is hiring a Senior Attorney (Legal LAC) on Caribjob today.
More details about the job are below:
A LITTLE ABOUT US
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive.
We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. Whether it’s career development, work/life balance, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all of our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued.
Although you’ll see requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Passion, innovation, and diversity are all key components to advancing our Mission and we encourage you to apply.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Senior Attorney provides legal services on complex matters to advance Conservancy priorities and appropriately manage risk, with a focus on the Latin America - Caribbean Regions and potentially global programs. This position reports directly to a Senior Attorney.
The Senior Attorney ensure that transactions and activities are legally sound and consistent with the Conservancy’s mission, authority, policies, and procedures. They clearly articulate complex legal concepts and options to assigned programs. The Senior Attorney will review organizational documents; prepare, review and negotiate contracts; and structure and negotiate complex agreements involving multiple parties. They will work with internal staff to ensure that operations and implementation of programs and projects are withing the parameters of the Conservancy’s policies and procedures and the laws of the appropriate jurisdictions.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Assists in structuring activities to most effectively achieve Conservancy goals.
- Reviews organizational documents and prepares, examines and negotiates contracts which may involve government grants, leases, licenses, purchases and sales agreements, real estate agreements, easements, insurance, joint ventures and acquisitions, marketing and consulting agreements, and other commercial contracts, etc.
- Influences decision-makers in assigned programs through strong communication skills.
- Manages outside counsel effectively.
- May supervise and/or provide guidance to less experienced attorneys and/or paralegals and other support staff.
- Performs special projects as requested by department management.
- Serves as the primary legal contact for various clients.
- Travel occasionally; work long or flexible hours as needed.
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent.
- License to practice law in at least one U.S., Latin America or Caribbean jurisdiction.
- 5 years relevant legal experience or at least 3 years relevant legal experience coupled with assumption of significant responsibilities for a geographic area or subject matter expertise.
- Experience negotiating complex, transactions and agreements.
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish.
- Experience working across cultures.
- Verbal and written fluency in French or Portuguese. In-house experience and/or law firm experience advising sophisticated clients and senior management.
- Familiarity with general corporate law in the Caribbean.
- Experience drafting and negotiating contracts and engaging in transaction work in the Caribbean and/or Latin America.
- Experience with government regulations related to grants and contracts.
- Experience providing legal support to non-US functions within a U.S. 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
- Experience working with international and cross-functional teams in a decentralized organization.
- Ability to balance numerous matters while prioritizing on a day-to-date basis.
- Experience developing, directing and managing multiple projects and implementing strategic program goals.
- Proven ability to communicate clearly, both written and verbally, in a professional setting.
- Experience identifying, evaluating and resolving issues, quickly and efficiently.
- Experience supervising staff such as paralegals and administrative staff.
- Legal research experience.
- Working knowledge of current trends in relevant discipline.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including; health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan including employer match, accrued paid time off (including annual, personal, and sick leave), life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellness benefits. Benefits may be subject to generally applicable eligibility, waiting period, contribution, and other requirements and conditions. Learn more about our benefits at nature.org/careers. We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellness, and flexibility needs of the people we employ.
To apply for job ID 50448, submit your materials (COVER and RESUME REQUIRED) online by using the Apply Now button at ----- by 11:59 PM EST on November 10, 2021. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.