Digicel in Jamaica is hiring a Switch Engineer on Caribjob today.
More details about this job are below:
As a Digital Operator, Digicel is in the business of delivering powerful digital experiences 1440 minutes of each day to customers – that’s every minute, all day, every day.
Through its world-class LTE and fibre networks, together with its suite of 8 apps spanning sports (SportsMax), music (D’Music), news (Loop), local radio and podcasts (GoLoud), TV streaming (PlayGo), enhanced messaging and marketplaces (BiP), cloud storage (Billo) and self-care (MyDigicel app), Digicel is the only operator in its markets that can deliver that.
Serving consumer and business customers in 32 markets in the Caribbean, Central America and Pacific, its investments of over US$7 billion and a commitment to its communities through its Digicel Foundations in Haiti, Jamaica, Papua New Guinea and Trinidad & Tobago have contributed to positive outcomes for over 3 million people to date.
With its Better Together brand, Digicel is making a promise of simply more to customers and communities and its 7,000 employees worldwide work together to make that a powerful reality day in, day out.
Primary objective of the job:
- The Switch Engineer will be responsible to maintain the HLRs, MSCs and MGWs used for GSM and WCDMA service; CISCO ITPs used as STPs to deliver the highest possible quality service to our customers.
- Monitor KPIs and effect changes where necessary to ensure the best quality at the lowest cost.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Preventative and Corrective Maintenance
- Complete routine assignments.
- Complete preventative and corrective maintenance assignments.
- Maintain accurate records of all changes.
- Liaise with local interconnects and integrated units on Interconnect issues
- Liaise with all vendors regarding support issues
- Prepare and execute configuration changes for the various nodes
- Ensure that adequate capacities are available at all times across all nodes (including GSM/WCDMA switches, and Cisco ITP) and Trunk routes
- Identify the need for and implement network optimization, expansions and enhancements
- Monitor all signalling links and performance KPIs to prevent losses on all nodes to ensure 99.99% availability.
- Troubleshoot and correct all hardware and software faults in the core switches and their related transmission equipment
- Support owners of Real time billing platforms connected to NSS nodes
- Support owners of Value Added Systems like SMSCs and USSD Gateways connected to NSS nodes
- Provide assistance as a point of escalation for GSM/WCDMA and LTE roaming issues off the JAMDC Hub
- Provide support as final MOJO internal point of escalation for subscriber configuration issues.
- Manage ITPs responsible for signalling transfer in the Core Systems.
- Implement new and upgraded software and hardware
- Design and implement Voice and Signalling expansion between core nodes and third party nodes
- Perform Network configurations (e.g. Digit analysis, MTP3 and SCCP routing)
- Integrate new nodes
- Integrate new MOJO territories that are to be a part of the Jamaica Hub
- Design and Implement new products or Services and support business in developing Technical and Service description.
- Keep accurate records of all events and system configuration.
- Analyze traffic statistical data to enable early fault detection.
- Prepare and submit weekly reports.
- Establish and maintain office equipment log.
- Ensure the security of all system files and billing information
- Prepare data transcript for Planned Works/Network Expansion.
- Prepare Measurement Programs on core switches to provide statistics for network planning.
Academic qualifications and experience required:
- A BSc Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering specializing in Telecommunications or related field
- Certification in data management, CISCO, JAVA
- 2 years’ experience in the telecommunication field
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may, and probably will be asked to perform other duties as required. Each employee, regardless of classification, is required to maintain a safe, orderly and clean workplace, using safety precautions and observing safety rules at all times.