Virgin Islands Water & Power Authority in US Virgin Islands is hiring an IT Operations Manager on Caribjob today.
More details about the job are below:
The IT Operations Manager is responsible for directing and coordinating the planning and production activities of data processing installation, operation and general support; performs other related duties as required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Consults with management personnel to define the boundaries and priorities of scheduled projects.
- Determines specific information requirements of management and allocates operating time to the computer.
- Establishes work standards; assigns, schedules and revises work.
- Reviews computer operating schedule to introduce testing and implementation of new programs and procedures; also installation of software and hardware upgrades.
- Analyzes data requirements and flow to recommend reorganization as necessary.
- Responsible for maintenance of systems documentation / operations manual.
- Coordinates and performs troubleshooting to more complex hardware/software issues.
- Assists with and/or coordinates the production of end user requested reports through the use of Query/400 and/or other supplied software.
- Operates computers and peripheral equipment, when necessary, to alleviate personnel shortages due to absence and/or annual leave.
- Controls and maintains the creation, deletion and updating of user accounts/profiles; monitors security compliance in accordance with information technology standards.
- Makes recommendations for staffing, changes, promotions and disciplinary actions.
- Evaluates the performance of employees in the data processing unit; coordinates training for and/or trains subordinates.
- Coordinates action with equipment manufacturers in the event of equipment failure or required maintenance.
- Recommends new uses for or abandonment of equipment as necessary.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and applications of programming and programming aids.
- Considerable knowledge of quantitative methods, procedures of accounting, statistics, mathematics, economics and other appropriate areas as applied to the use of electronic data processing hardware and software.
- Considerable knowledge and experience with standard software applications including Microsoft Office, Windows; ability to use advanced computer functions.
- Considerable knowledge of the techniques involved in the adaptation of office procedures and processes to data processing equipment and methods.
- Ability to prepare, comprehend and analyze decision tables, flowcharts, and documentation of projects and application systems.
- Management and supervisory skills; thorough knowledge of the principles of supervision.
- Excellent organizational, time and stress management skills.
- Ability to understand complex oral and written instructions and to communicate clearly and concisely orally, graphically and in writing.
- Ability to think logically, analyze situations, evaluate alternatives, exercise independent judgment and implement solutions. May act as a resource to others to solve problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; consistently demonstrate professional, positive and approachable attitude/demeanor.
Education & Experience
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or a closely related field, and a minimum (6) years of progressively responsible experience involving complex data processing programs and operations, two (2) years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.