Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries in Jamaica is hiring a Manager Deposits and Investments (FMG/PA 2) on Caribjob today.
More details about this job are below:
Under the direct supervision of the Director, Management Accounts (FMG/PA 4), the Manager, Deposits & Investments (FMG/PA 2) is responsible for ensuring that the overall management of the Ministry’s portfolio deposits is duly executed in accordance with the agreed guidelines and to the benefit of all stakeholders. The incumbent is also required to review the Ministry’s investments and/or make recommendations for the investment of excess cash based or market research.
- Participates in the preparation and implementation of the Ministry’s Corporate and Operational Plans;
- Certifies commitment vouchers;
- Participates in the preparation of/and maintenance of the Operational and Procedural Manual that guide the activities of staff;
- Provides guidance to staff;
- Assists in drafting response to audit queries;
- Ensures that the relevant Accounting and Financial Records of the Ministry are maintained;
- Prepares draft Budgets for miscellaneous revenue based on a realistic projection and within the stipulated deadline;
- Monitors actual revenue collections against targets, instituting whatever measures possible to ensure that targets are achieved, through a process of sensitizing
- Programme Managers;
- Ensures that clients are promptly billed and invoices for goods and services received by reviewing Miscellaneous Revenue Records where appropriate;
- Participates in the development of a Procedural Manual for the Division.
- Management of Revenue Portfolio
- Ensures that realistic projections for revenue collections e.g., miscellaneous and (AIA) are developed;
- Monitors actual revenue collections and prepares Variance Report;
- Analyses Revenue Receipts against target and or institute whatever measure is possible to ensure that targets are achieved by sensitizing Programme Managers;
- Develops a reporting format congruent with the needs of stakeholders;
- Develops and advises on strategies to increase the proceeds from all income generating activities and implements mechanisms to improve the Ministry’s revenue earning capacity;
- Ensures that clients are promptly billed and invoiced for goods and services received by reviewing records for miscellaneous revenue collections where appropriate;
- Identifies measures and determines impact of prospective endeavours and recommends the best options(s).
Management of the Deposits Head
- Manages the Subsidiary Accounts to ensure that receipts and withdrawals are in keeping with the terms agreed upon;
- Authorizes all withdrawals from the Deposit Accounts to ensure authenticity;
- Ensures the assignment and maintenance of the approved categorization and accounting codes are in collaboration with the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service
- Review funds lodged to the various deposit accounts to ensure accuracy;
- Investigates dormant funds and liaises with relevant authority to determine outcome;
- Manages the remittance of approved dormant funds to the relevant authority;
- Manages the deposit portfolio or any other special funding arrangement entered into by the Ministry;
- Monitors all Deposit Accounts to ensure that they are being utilized for the purposes for which they were received;
- Submits where necessary, to depositor’s monthly statements showing the activity of their account during the month and the remaining balance;
- Ensures that deposit accounts with balances that are dormant for six (6) or more years are paid over to the Accountant General for Miscellaneous Revenue by:
- Conducting detail analyses of sums held on deposits regarding: the projected date when the funds will be required for use and an appropriate secure investment for such funds, which will mature before the projected date when the funds will be required.
- Projecting interest and /capital gains expected on the investment.
- Ensuring that all sums held on deposit under the category “Revenue Deposits” are paid over to revenue in the shortest time possible.
- Analyses funds held on deposits to determine availability for long term investment purposes where feasible;
- Prepares Taxation Statements and monitors submission to relevant institutions to ensure tax recovery;
- Performs any other related duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Division/Unit and recommends transfer, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Provides leadership and guidance through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching;
- Ensures the welfare and developmental needs of staff in the Division/Unit are clearly identified and addressed;
- Establishes and maintains a system that fosters a culture of teamwork, employee empowerment and commitment to the Division’s and Organization’s goals.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in teams
- Excellent customer relations skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent knowledge of public finance, Government accounting, policies and procedures
- Good knowledge of the stipulations of the FAA Act.
- Good knowledge of the Ministry’s Policies, Practices and Procedures.
- Proficiency in the use of spreadsheets and other computerized systems
- Sound knowledge of the banking and financial sectors
- Sound problem-solving and analytical skills
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Management Studies with Accounting or BBA Degree from an accredited University; or ACCA Level 2; or
- NVQJ Level 5, Accounting; or
- ASc. Degree in Accounting, MIND along with the Diploma in Government Accounting, MIND.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Travelling to various locations.
Applications accompanied by résumés should be submitted to:
Human Resource Management and Development Division
Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.