Ocean Hotels Group BARBADOS in Barbados is hiring a Commis Cook on Caribjob today.
More details about the job are below:
This position functions in various food outlets and will be challenging. This job entails efficient food preparation, product handling and paying attention to detail for the satisfaction of our guests. Also, self-motivation and flexibility is the key to one’s personal development.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Maintain a clean and organized kitchen.
- Need to have enough flexibility to respond to any call from the hotel; any day or any hour.
- Attend any appropriate meetings.
- Continued communication with junior sous chef /sous chef/chef de partie to meet quality and cost standards.
- Adhere to the established safety standards and also assist in the prevention of accidents by being aware of hazardous situations.
- Assist in inventory counts and controls.
- Receive and check food items from requisition orders.
- Practice proper recycling procedures and kitchen energy management.
- Must be familiar with all equipment and machinery including safe operation and maintenance.
- To ensure that all meals, and snacks are correctly prepared, cooked and served to established standards.
- All In-Room Dining orders must be delivered within 30 as per AAA Five Diamond Standards
- All food is prepared to order as per AAA five Diamond Standard
- All food is served at proper temperature as per AAA Five Diamond Standard, hot food served hot and cold food served cold
- To clean as you go, stop and clean work area before and after each service
- Log the daily temperatures of freezers, refrigerators and food on the buffets.
- 48 hours of recorded training pre year
- To assist the cleaning of fridges.
- To make sure all items placed in fridges/freezers are labelled and stored correctly.
- To ensure quality and consistency with all completed food items.
- Conduct daily checks on the quality and freshness of product
- To assist in the preparation of food to highest standard for guest consumption
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Secondary level education is required.
- certificate or Degree from a culinary school would be an asset
- 2 years experience in a AAA Four or Five Diamond Hotel/Restaurant or similar upscale restaurant or 8 years experience in a reputable high end Fine Dining establishment
- Level 2 or above National Vocational Qualification in Food Preparation and Cookery
- Client Service Orientation.
- The ability to work under pressure.
- Demonstration of sound judgment.
- Must be familiar with all kitchen equipment and machinery.
- Must have his/her tools to perform assigned duties.
- Knowledge of kitchen terminology required.
- Advance culinary and artistic skills.
- Knowledge of all other kitchen departments.
- The ability to perform mathematical calculation including but not limited to conversion of recipes, inventories etc.
- Good handwriting, reading, listening and computation skills are necessary.
- Must be in good physical condition: to stand for 8 consecutive hours. Also walk, kneel and bend.
- Able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sustain the heat and cold of the kitchen.
- Assist with special duties in the event of an emergencies or non routine matters, in case of a hurricane or natural disaster