Ross Unversity School of Veterinary Medicine in Saint Kitts and Nevis is hiring a Job Supervisor, Animal Care on Caribjob today.
More details about this job are below:
Opportunity at a Glance
To make a difference, you have to be different. That’s what we strive to be.
A career with Ross Vet is more than just a job; it is an extraordinary opportunity to join an innovative, collaborative community of passionate professionals making a difference every day by advancing human and animal health through the power of education.
We make a difference by providing our students with an unparalleled learning experience as they prepare for lifelong career success as today’s veterinarians and tomorrow’s leaders. Ross Vet colleagues thrive in a culture that encourages personal growth and professional development, bringing meaning and purpose to everything we do.
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine (RUSVM) offers a unique AVMA-accredited program of training on the island of St. Kitts, West Indies. A cutting-edge curriculum, with innovative use of technologies and simulations, provides the best possible training for tomorrow’s veterinarians. Students benefit from seven semesters of preclinical studies at our beautiful St Kitts campus, and one year of clinical training at our affiliate veterinary teaching hospitals in the United States, Canada, Australia and Europe.
Reporting to the Manager of Animal Resources, the Supervisor of Animal Resources - Kennel and Exotic Animal Care is responsible for the management and husbandry of animals on campus used for research and teaching governed by US Animal Welfare regulations and AAALAC Standards of Care and overseen by RUSVM IACUC.
- Responsible for the housing and husbandry and enrichment program of the large, small and exotic animals under the ACUP.
- Supervises individual colleagues and sets day-to-day operational activities in support of the health and welfare of animals in RUSVM’s Animal Care and Use Program (ACUP).
- Allocates work and sets operational targets for Animal Resources team members to oversee maintenance of all RUSVM animal facilities/housing per departmental Standard Operating Procedures to ensure compliance with regulations and accreditation standards.
- Maintains adherence to all current protocols and policies ensuring they are compliant with regulatory requirements and updated as necessary and ensures Animal Resources colleagues remain adequately trained according to IACUC approved SOP’s..
- Responsible for adherence to animal procurement, transport and acclimation as defined in IACUC approved protocols.
- Procures and assures timely arrival of necessary nutrition, preventative medication and other critical supplies from local or U.S. source.
- Manages and coordinates all animal use required for research and labs while ensuring compliance with IACUC approved rest periods.
- Oversees that appropriate records are maintained including RUSVM animal medical records and research and teaching IACUC protocols and ensures adverse event records are obtained, valid, and present in the record keeping system.
- Works closely with Principal Investigators, Course Coordinators, and club advisers that use RUSVM animals.
- Ensures that emergency contacts and SOP's are readily available to persons that may need access.
- Ensures that the On Call Clinician, and Attending Veterinarian are contacted regarding animal welfare including any case of an RUSVM animal’s illness, pain or distress; and ensures timely response to requests for medical attention according to the IACUC Sick Animal Reporting Flow Chart.
- Works closely and proactively with the Manager of Animal Resources, On Call Clinician and the Attending Veterinarian to be sure he/she is informed and up to date on the RUSVM animals in routine matters and in case of any concerns.
- Supports campus animal teaching and research activities.
- Completes other projects and duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with Veterinary Technician or Associate's degree in related field is preferred (Veterinary Science, Lab Animal Science, etc).
- Depth of experience as an organization lead and or supervisory skills managing a large and diverse vivarium (350+ animals) is required.
- Knowledge and experience regarding nutritional and husbandry needs of dogs and exotics (incl rodents) is required.
- Experience in supporting and helping maintain budget requirements as designated by the Manager of Animal Resources with strong solution based approach to determining course of action on past and present practices.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to influence and manage issues within the team and external personnel to maximize productivity.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
As an organization dedicated to educating the healthcare leaders of tomorrow and empowering members to make inspiring contributions to our global community, we know that it is our responsibility to lead by example and continue minimizing the risks of spreading COVID-19. Employment at Adtalem and/or its subsidiaries requires compliance with the organization’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, to the extent permitted by the laws of your country, province/state, and/or local area. All employees in areas of the world that permit mandatory COVID-19 vaccination are required to be fully vaccinated within 60 days of their date of hire unless they receive an exemption from Adtalem’s HR Coaching Resource Center because of issues such as access or an approved medical or religious accommodation.
Who We Are
Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine (RUSVM) offers an accredited Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree, postgraduate certification, integrated DVM/Master of Science (MSc) dual degree programs, and Doctoral (Ph.D.) degrees. Our unique program of broad-based curriculum integrates research opportunities and classroom study in St. Kitts with hands-on clinical training at affiliated AVMA-accredited veterinary schools. Cutting-edge curriculum with innovative technology and simulation provides the best possible training as we aim to lead veterinary training worldwide by creating an exemplary program uniquely designed to graduate today’s practice-ready veterinarians and tomorrow’s leaders and discoverers.
The mission of RUSVM is to provide the best learning environment to prepare students to become members and leaders of the worldwide public and professional healthcare team, advancing human and animal health (One Health) through research and knowledge exchange. Learn more about Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, part of Adtalem Global Education, at www.veterinary.rossu.edu.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We pride ourselves in nurturing a culture that encourages everyone to bring their full selves to work each day. To us, diversity and inclusion needs to be intentional to be impactful. We don’t just welcome differences, we celebrate them. #WeAreAdtalem