Digicel in Jamaica is hiring a General Accountant on Caribjob today.
More details about this job are below:
As a Digital Operator, Digicel is in the business of delivering powerful digital experiences 1440 minutes of each day to customers – that’s every minute, all day, every day.
Through its world-class LTE and fibre networks, together with its suite of eight (8) apps spanning sports (SportsMax), music (D’Music), news (Loop), local radio and podcasts (GoLoud), TV streaming (PlayGo), enhanced messaging and marketplaces (BiP), cloud storage (Billo) and self-care (MyDigicel app), Digicel is the only operator in its markets that can deliver that.
Serving consumer and business customers in 32 markets in the Caribbean, Central America and Pacific, its investments of over US$7 billion and a commitment to its communities through its Digicel Foundations in Haiti, Jamaica, Papua New Guinea and Trinidad & Tobago have contributed to positive outcomes for over 3 million people to date.
With its Better Together brand, Digicel is making a promise of simply more to customers and communities and its 7,000 employees worldwide work together to make that a powerful reality day in, day out.
Primary objective of the job:
- Support the GL accounting team
- Interact with business partners on all levels to identify needs
- Ensure all process activities are performed on time and with the necessary quality
- Assist with transactions, understand variances and proactively identify potential problems to streamline and improve productivity and accuracy of the processes
- Provide regular reporting and analysis to key stakeholders
- Communicate with internal stakeholders on a regular basis to discuss operational issues, key metrics
- Respond to ad hoc requests for analytics
- Support the financial accounting and reporting processes and analyze financial reports and general entries to understand operations and identify variances
- Support period-end close activities in accordance with agreed close schedules
- Support compliance with accounting standards and control frameworks.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Process-specific role responsible for:
- Support with the reviewing of general ledger reconciliations;
- Supporting in period-end close processes;
- Support with the reviewing of preliminary Trial balances;
- Processing management adjustments;
- Performing key activities in the general ledger close;
- Supporting internal control testing;
- Providing external audit support;
- Assist with developing standard procedures and templates;
- Support continuous improvement opportunities;
- Recording/reporting accounting transactions, assisting with P&L and BS accounts;
- Analysing and reconciling balances and period-end activities;
- Performing revenue and cost accounting;
- Assisting in intercompany processing where required
Academic qualifications and experience required:
- Bachelor degree in Finance or Accounting, or any other related field
- Three - Four (3-4) years relevant working experience
- Professional Accounting Qualification
- Previous demonstrable, the relevant and progressive experience of general accounting and intercompany
- Strong, demonstrable knowledge of accounting principles and accounting standards (US GAAP / IFRS), as well as tax reporting
- Lean / Six Sigma exposure or equivalent desired
- Proficiency in using ERP systems and MS products, such as Excel and Word
- Ability to interact with leadership, key stakeholders, employees and suppliers in a professional manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Functional skills and abilities:
- Ability to interact with leadership, key stakeholders, employees and clients in a professional manner
- Highly qualified team with specialized skills and knowledge
- Financial acumen
- Clear written and verbal communication
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may, and probably will be asked to perform other duties as required. Each employee, regardless of classification, is required to maintain a safe, orderly and clean workplace, using safety precautions and observing safety rules at all times.