Under the guidance and supervision of the Resident Representative, the Operations Coordinator (Analyst) manages the operational team, provides advice support to Senior Management on all aspects of CO management and is responsible for the effective delivery of operational services. These include the management of the CO’s logistics, finances and human resources as well as the supervision of ICT and procurement services and the support to UN system common services consistent with the UNDP rules and regulations.
The Operations Coordinator (Analyst) as leader of the operations team in the CO, promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit. She/he ensures the smooth functioning of the CO/programmes/project operations, as well the consistent delivery of services performing ongoing analysis and readjustment of the operations taking into account emerging needs and changes in the UNDP office in Guyana.
The incumbent also works in close collaboration with the programme team, UNDP HQs and Regional Centre staff, government counterparts (as partners) as well as the Business Development and Results Management Analyst to ensure the successful implementation of programme policies, procedures and audit recommendations, providing overall quality assurance and internal controls for all CO line functions and project operations support services. The incumbent ensures adherence to UNDP policies and procedures as well as commitment to service delivery excellence and driving the articulation of a revenue-generating service offer in the operations arena and managing the CO’s operational budget.
This position will liaise and coordinate with GSSU and regional hubs on outsourced activities as needed. All operations units’ heads report to the Operations Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Planning and coordination of operational support.
- Ensure implementation of financial services
- Ensure implementation of HR services
- Ensure implementation of procurement, logistical, administrative, and asset management.
- Ensure implementation of ICT Services
- Support to common services’ organization and management, and collaboration in the establishment of partnerships with other UN Agencies
1) Ensures proper planning and direction of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensures full compliance of operations with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets (BSC), office budget (IWP) and monitoring of achievement of results.
- Plans and delivers efficient operational services and coordinates the Operations team.
- Analyzes CO business processes mapping and the operating environment and contributes to internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical services, Administration, ICT and assets management.
- Acts as liaison with GSSU and Regional Office for LAC in Panama on behalf of CO and projects.
- Provides inputs to the elaboration and implementation of cost-reduction, cost recovery and full Direct Project costing (DPC) strategies.
- Monitors and analyzes operating environment, timely readjustment of operations and risk mitigating strategies.
- Coordinates collaboration arrangements with current and potential operational partners, suppliers and government counterparts.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and sharing with regards to operations processes in the CO.
- Support of supervisee(s) in facilitating their learning and development.
- Support of supervisees in maintenance of their health and well-being, safety and security.
2) Ensures implementation of financial processes for the CO in line with the corporate initiative on clustering of services for outsourcing of financial services, ensuring all financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified in compliance with IPSAS as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for management projects.
- Implementation of proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary income in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Performance of Senior Manager role in Atlas for voucher and Treasury transactions approvals. Approval of pending disbursements as the “third authority” (cheques, bank transfers, EFT), approval of bank reconciliations.
- Implementation of cost-recovery mechanisms for CO services provided to projects and UN Agencies, including ensuring preparation of pro-forma invoices for UN agencies.
- Monitors CO cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, bank relationship management; timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site.
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions.
- Member of bank signatory panel if/when delegated by RR/DRR.
- Transaction and stop payment approval on internet banking system.
- Participate in negotiations with the bank providing services to UNDP.
- Act as cashier for onsite transactions.
3) Ensures implementation of human resources processes for the CO in line with corporate initiative on clustering of services for outsourcing of human resources services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure CO compliance with corporate human resources policies, provides strategic direction to all recruitment efforts and
- Oversee recruitment processes are in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Coordinate the implementation of proper performance management and staff development systems.
- Implementation of the Universal Access strategy on learning ensuring access of the staff to appropriate learning activities.
4) Coordinates implementation of procurement and logistical services, asset management for the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- CO compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and elaboration of the CO procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement.
- Contribute to the elaboration of the CO contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, guiding the management of contracts and contractors and legal implications.
- Supervision of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, acting as Senior Manager in Atlas for Purchase orders approvals.
- Oversight of the proper management of UNDP assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with IPSAS in the accounting for the procurement, utilization and disposal of the CO’s assets.
5) Supervise the provision of information and communication technologies services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Use of Atlas functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
- Analyze and contribute to the identification of opportunities to ameliorate business processes into web-based systems to enhance efficiency and full accountability.
- Oversee the maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries.
- Research and identification of systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
6) Supports common services organization and management, establishment of partnerships with other UN Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support implementation of harmonized approach to common services management in line with the latest developments in common services and the best practices.
- Proper planning and tracking of common services budget and of Agencies contributions to the common services account.
- Support the implementation of the SOPs for the joint effort of the UN Country Team.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Ability to persuade others to follow
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Job Knowledge/Technical expertise
- Ability to understand advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational principles and good practices relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
Building Strategic Partnerships
Ability to maintain and establish networks of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up to date on partnership related issues.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Ability to perform appropriate work analysis and assists in redesign to establish clear standards for implementation
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to diagnose problems and identifies and communicates processes to support change initiatives
- Gathers and analyses feedback from staff
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Ability to identify and recommend remedial measures to address problems in systems design or implementation
- Ability to anticipate client needs and demonstrate understanding of client’s perspective while solicitating feedback on service provision and quality
- Establishing effective client relationships.
- Research potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct, and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- Master’s Degree with 2 years or Bachelor’s with 4 years of progressively responsible work experience at the national or international level in providing operational management services and/or managing staff and operational systems and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience of accrual accounting, IPSAS or IFRS is highly desirable and will be deemed a competitive advantage.
Excellent knowledge of the English language, with exceptional writing, presentation, and communication skills; 2nd UN language highly desirable
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.