Building Maintenance Technician
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Summary of position:
Under the supervision of the Property Manager or of the Building superintendent, the Building Maintenance Technician is responsible for general repair in one or more of the following fields: electricity, electro mechanics, engineering civil plumbing, carpentry, masonry, painting and related disciplines for all equipment and goods that belong to the mission and / or to the Crown or that are under rental.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. It is not sufficient to simply state responsibilities. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications:
Education: Completion of the fundamental study cycle, or an equivalent combination of studies, training and professional experience.
Languages: Fluency in French (oral and written). The candidate must be fluent in French in order to understand instructions and communicate information to colleagues.
Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of relevant professional experience in a similar position during the last five (5) years in a diplomatic mission, an international organization or a private firm of good repute.
Rated Requirements: The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and professional qualities will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessments.
- Knowledge of Port-au-Prince and of principal roads in Haiti;
- Basic knowledge in at least one of the following functional fields: such as maintenance of residential ventilation and / or air conditioning systems, plumbing, electricity, masonry, carpentry, painting, heating, refrigeration, engineering civil, electromechanical or other related disciplines;
- Knowledge of basic mathematics (Making, understanding or interpreting quick calculations); • Knowledge of how to fill manually basic reports, (i.e.: daily service reports and roadmaps).
- Autonomy and initiative;
- Client service orientation;
- Discretion and professional integrity;
- Able to work as part of a team and respect for others;
- Able to work under pressure and to manage priorities;
- Attention to details;
- Able to meet deadlines.
Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
- Professional or technical diploma in one of the following fields: plumbing, electricity, air conditioning, refrigeration, electro mechanics, masonry, carpentry or an equivalent or related field;
- Experience in the maintenance of ventilation systems and / or residential air conditioning and / or electricity and / or plumbing;
- Knowledge of commonly computer software (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Microsoft Office suite including Outlook);
- Knowledge of English (oral).
- The employee can occasionally be requested to do scheduled/unscheduled overtime after regular working hours, including on the weekend;
- Must be available to answer, in case of emergency, to telephone calls that can occur after work hours and on the weekend.
Condition(s) of Employment:
- Candidates must have a valid work authorization for Haiti covering the entire employment period. If the employment is indeterminate, the work authorization should be permanent or itself lead to a permanent work authorization;
- A reliability rating (security clearance) is required to obtain this position at the Embassy of Canada and will be subject to audits. This rating must be maintained throughout the employment – loss of the latter is sufficient reason to dismiss the employee;
- Candidates must fulfill the requirement of a medical examination (mandatory);
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive manual vehicles;
- Candidates must be able to lift and move a load of 50 pounds.
Area of selection:
Open to internal and external applicants who are legal residents or citizens of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the Embassy of Canada in Port-au-Prince, Haiti does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly. The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
How to apply:
- Candidates are required to upload a cover letter and CV in English or French. Applications which do not include the requested documents or information in the CV or cover letter will be rejected. Any additional information must be included as part of these two attachments.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: [email protected] prior to the closing date. Failure to so will result in the application being rejected
- Please do not use a tablet or cell phone to submit your application, as mobile browsers are not supported by our on-line portal. Candidates should only apply using a laptop or desktop computer.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French)
- Candidates are entitled to participate in the recruitment process in the official language of their choice and to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
- The Embassy of Canada in Port-au-Prince, Haiti does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us.
- The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the Embassy of Canada in Port-au-Prince, Haiti which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.
- Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture.
- Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
Votre candidature a été soumise avec succès.