E T Consultant
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
The Social Protection and Jobs Global Practice:
WBG is the largest provider of development finance and solutions for social protection and jobs, working with high-income, middle-income, and low-income countries to develop country-tailored solutions for specific social protection and labor challenges. These range from increasing the efficiency with which social resources are spent (where well-designed social safety net programs, effective pension programs, and integrated social protection systems are proven solutions) to improving employment outcomes through employability programs and associated policy reforms, often most effective when targeted to the poor or the young.
The Social Protection & Jobs Global Practice (SPJ GP) delivers operational approaches and evidence-based solutions to help individuals and families manage risk, cope with chronic or transitional poverty, and access better livelihoods and jobs. These include strategy, policy dialogue, advisory and analytical services, and financing of:
• Social safety nets social assistance in the form of cash transfers, public works programs, social services, and fee waivers.
• Contributory transfers, including old-age pensions, unemployment insurance, disability and survivor benefits, and their fiscal sustainability (including budget support for transitions).
• Labor market and youth employment programs, with a focus on supply side interventions and intermediation policies, as well as policy advice on labor market regulations and interventions.
• Skills development and training; and
• SPJ delivery systems, covering implementation processes (outreach, intake and registration, determination of eligibility, enrollment, payments, provision of services, case management, and so forth); the interface for citizens (applicants, beneficiaries, workers, unemployed) and employers / firms; institutional arrangements (including horizontal and vertical coordination); and information systems (social registries, beneficiary registries, integrated social information systems).
As a result of COVID 19, the GP has seen as important additional number of project requests and project restructurings to support country response to the effects of the crisis. Both the chronic poor and those who experienced a sudden loss of livelihood need social protection and jobs interventions to mitigate the economy-wide or sector-specific downturn created by the virus.
Haiti is an example of countries in which the COVID 19 crisis has triggered the rapid implementation of emergency assistance, but also the medium-term development of safety net systems. The portfolio in Haiti now covers a range of activities, including an emergency cash transfer program, a new safety net program currently under preparation, various analytical activities focusing on generating evidence on cash transfers but also technical assistance to support the delivery of social assistance in Haiti.
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITY:
The World Bank is seeking an Extended Term Consultant to join the SPJ team for Latin America and the Caribbean, based in Port au Prince, Haiti.
S/he will contribute to the delivery of SPJ sector policy dialogue, operations and analytical and advisory tasks by working jointly with other team members in the World Bank, clients, development partners and academia that actively support the development and reform of social protection and labor systems. Her/his main country of focus, at least initially, will be Haiti, but s/he is expected to also contribute to activities in the Caribbean Region.
The overall role of the incumbent would be to support the SPJ team in advancing on its objective of supporting the Haitian government in developing an adaptive social protection system through technical assistance, analysis and financing. Specifically, her/his main responsibilities include:
- Provide technical and supervisory support to key project implementing agencies, namely, the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labor and World Food Programme to help ensure successful implementation of the safety net program at the central and local level (with a focus on Grande Anse);
- Support capacity building activities for the Project Implementation Unit at the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labor and provide operational support;
- Review annual work plans, budgets, Terms of Reference, procurement documents, and other project-related documents as needed;
- Regularly follow up on agreed actions and conduct field monitoring and reporting of project activities as assigned;
- Organize, support and participate in World Bank missions related to social protection in Haiti;
- Contribute to Aide Memoires, Implementation Status Reports, Implementation Completion Reports, and other Bank documentation as needed;
- Prepare inputs for notes, briefs, papers, and reports related to social protection and safety nets;
- Support supervision of lending, but also analytical work, with a focus on delivery systems (e.g., payments, identification, registries, systems assessments) as underpinnings of effective shock responsive social programs;
- Support coordination with stakeholders in Port au Prince and in the field (including Government but also UN partners) and support engagement and coordination with other partners – donors, NGOs, civil society – operating in the social safety nets space;
- Assist with other related tasks, as assigned.
The successful candidate will report to the Practice Manager of Social Protection and Labor Global Practice for LAC. S/he will be part of the Social Protection and Jobs Global Practice in the Latin America and Caribbean Region and will work closely with the Human Development teams and Program Leads for Haiti and the Caribbean.
- Experience supporting programs related to human development (health, education, social protection). Experience working on cash transfer programs would be an advantage.
- Experience supporting programs funded by World Bank or other development bank would be an advantage
- Ability to deliver results effectively in support of the team, strong communication skills, taking personal responsibility to meet deadlines and quality standards.
- High motivation, initiative, a positive attitude, team spirit, and the capacity to work comfortably in a challenging environment.
- Experience working in Haiti or a similar low-income and/or FCV country
- Ability to work under pressure and work flexibly on a range of assignments, to adjust to changing needs, and to prioritize among evolving tasks.
- Education: Graduate-level training in a social science field (for example, international development, economics, sociology), with 3-5 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- English and French required, Haitian Creole would be an advantage
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.
Votre candidature a été soumise avec succès.
The World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. Its five institutions share a commitment...