Readvertisement TA WASH Officer (Soft), (NO-2), Port-au-Prince, Haiti #113568 (Uniquement reserve aux citoyens haitiens)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the job
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child,
The implementation of a Drinking Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) project in the Artibonite Department will enable activities to be carried out in rural areas, schools and health centers in two municipalities: Gros Morne and Saint Michel. The objectives of this project are:
- 17,500 people in 50 communities ending open defecation;
- 80,000 people with sustainable access to safe and managed drinking water;
- 30,000 people benefiting from WASH facilities in schools and 5 health centers;
- 60,000 people affected by hygiene promotion activities.
The project implementation period will mainly be concentrated in the first year (April 2020 - April 2021). According to this calendar, a national staff with expertise in monitoring and supporting local partners is necessary to guide local organizations and provide them with local technical assistance to ensure proper implementation of activities in target localities and continuous monitoring of performance indicators in accordance with expected results.
How can you make a difference?
The WASH Officer reports to the Chief of WASH for supervision. The incumbent provides technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the WASH programming process. He/She prepares, manages and implements a variety of technical and administrative tasks, related to the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the WASH output results of the country programme.
Under the supervision of the UNICEF WASH section chief, the staff:
- Support the implementation of the Japan project by supervising local organizations having a partnership with UNICEF;
- Analyzes the capacity gaps of the implementation team and provides training and supervision as needed;
- Revises and validates their implementation plan;
- Provides expertise for the implementation of ACAT to reach ODF communities;
- Provides expertise for the implementation of sustainable WASH interventions in schools, health centers and communities, in accordance with national and UNICEF guidelines;
- Provides expertise for the development and / or use of monitoring tools to ensure the quality of the data and the achievement of objectives;
- Support intra and inter-municipal coordination and data transfer to departmental authorities
Enhancement Of Local Organizations
- Develop / revise the work plan of key partners according to the products / results defined in the documents signed with UNICEF;
- Establish a capacity building plan based on identified needs;
- Carry out and / or facilitate training sessions on key themes such as: ACAT, Home water treatment, WASH in health institutions; awareness raising on hand washing with soap; gender consideration, project data management, UNICEF HACT procedures.
- Periodically review (every quarter) the work plan and make the necessary adjustments to achieve the objectives.
Technical Assistance For The Implementation Of Activities
- Supervise the baseline survey and adjust the work plan based on the results obtained
- Support partners in carrying out ACAT activities in localities (triggering, training of committees, post-trigger and post-ODF monitoring, etc.)
- Provide expertise to develop innovative techniques to implement ACAT effectively and sustainably.
- Provide expertise for carrying out WASH activities in schools, markets and health centers including menstrual hygiene management, hand washing with soap and waste management.
- Document local experiences and facilitate the exchange of learning between localities
Technical Assistance For Monitoring And Coordination
- Support the local coordination mechanisms within the intervention municipalities in order to promote good communication on the interventions;
- Strengthen the project monitoring system to collect, analyze and report information
- Prepare all data (quantitative and qualitative) and produce reports on all interventions by theme;
- Support the verification and certification of ODF localities, hygiene-friendly schools and clean health centers
- Support local organizations in the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports and the reporting of disaggregated data by sex and age group (monitoring sheet, technical and financial report)
- Produce a monthly follow-up report on key indicators and the progress of activities
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree (Bachelor's) in Sanitary Engineering, Rural Engineering, Social Sciences or in Project Management or in any other relevant discipline.
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience including at least 1 year in WASH-related programmes for developing countries is required;
- Professional experience in project management would be an asset;
- Experience in supporting local organizations;
- Good knowledge of community WASH themes and in institutions (ACAT, C-TED, Hand washing with soap, menstrual hygiene management, etc.);
- Experiences in the target areas of the project and in responses to emergency and humanitarian situations
- Gender skills and gender sensitive data management, an asset;
- Excellent reporting, reporting, email, writing, project execution and communication skills;
- Ability and availability to go to the field (sometimes making difficult journeys) and to work in a restrictive environment;
- Ability to work under pressure and / or in an emergency;
- Ability to work within a multicultural and multidisciplinary team;
- Good knowledge of the Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point);
- Fluency in French and Creole required. Working knowledge of English would be an asset
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are...
- Builds and maintains partnerships (I)
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness (I)
- Innovates and embraces change (I)
- Drives to achieve results for impact (I)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (I)
- Thinks and acts strategically (I)
- Works collaboratively with others (I)
View our competency framework at
Competency Framework Brochure.pdf
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process. THIS VACANCY IS OPEN TO HAITIANS NATIONALS ONLY.
Votre candidature a été soumise avec succès.
UNICEF works in over 190 countries and territories to save children's lives, to defend their rights, and to help them fulfil their potential, from ear...