Readvertisement - TA WASH Officer (Civil Engineer), (NO-2), Gonaives, Haiti #113569 (Uniquement reserve aux citoyens haitiens)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the job
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child,
The implementation of a Drinking Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) project in the Artibonite Department will enable activities to be carried out in rural areas, schools and health centers in two municipalities: Gros Morne and Saint Michel. The project implementation period will be mainly concentrated in the years 2020 and 2021. The objectives of this project are:
- 17,500 people in 50 communities ending open defecation;
- 80,000 people with sustainable access to safe and managed drinking water;
- 30,000 people benefiting from WASH facilities in schools and 5 health centers;
- 60,000 people affected by hygiene promotion activities.
How can you make a difference?
The project implementation period will be mainly concentrated in the years 2020 and 2021. A national staff with expertise in construction and supervision of works is necessary to draw up the specifications, support the recruitment of construction firms and ensuring the implementation, monitoring and supervision of construction works so that they are effectively implemented in accordance with established standards.
The WASH Officer (Civil Engineer) reports to the Chief of WASH for supervision. The incumbent provides technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the WASH programming process. He/She prepares, manages and implements a variety of technical and administrative tasks, related to the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the WASH output results of the country programme.
Under the supervision of the UNICEF WASH section chief, the incumbent will:
- Ensure the daily monitoring of activities in the field by carrying out visits to intervention sites in collaboration with the teams from the OREPA Center (URD and TEPACs) and when necessary with those responsible for Health and Education at the department level;
- Ensure coordination between the different entities involved: DINEPA / OREPA / URD / TEPAC, Departmental Education Department (DDEA), Artibonite Health Department (DSA) and construction companies.
- Support the holding of regular follow-up meetings between DINEPA and the Firms;
- Participate in coordination meetings held within the framework of these projects;
- Learn about field actions in real time and report them to the supervisor;
- Support the staff of DINEPA, decentralized structures in the supervision and evaluation of current activities;
- Perform other tasks as required.
Evaluation Of The Infrastructures
- Visit of the health, education and DINEPA / OREPA departments of Artibonite to clarify the rehabilitation needs of the infrastructure initially targeted or possibly infrastructure;
- Diagnostic study of existing infrastructure;
- Restitution meeting of the evaluation work with the beneficiaries and a first arbitration on the elements to be taken care of;
- Mission report on current situations, priorities and constraints, descriptive notes of the various degradations, elements likely to be rehabilitated, photo and sketches);
- Estimated confidential costs, descriptions of the various lots and trades;
- Preparation of tender documents, procurement and execution schedule;
- Preparation of the bids in accordance with United Nations regulations and procedures;
- Receipt of bids from companies;
- Analysis of offers under the direction of an offer analysis committee including technical report;
- Financial evaluation and signing of contracts in accordance with United Nations regulations and procedures;
- construction / rehabilitation works
- Periodic or unannounced site visits;
- Organization and animation of site meetings (weekly and ad hoc) including drafting and distribution of meeting minutes;
- Quality control of execution and quantity of works;
- Control of the conformity of the works to the specifications;
- Organization of operations for the reception of intermediate works with supporting PV;
- Establishment of the list of reservations, monitoring and updating of the list of reservations and observations of the lifting of reservations;
- Collection of notices + Minutes (PV);
- Observation of the non-conformities and proposal for their regulation and their follow-up;
- Validation of progress reports and sharing of progress reports + validation of attachments;
- Proposal for the choice of materials and ensure that the measures taken by the Contractor (or the construction company) concerning the health and safety of workers and the population are respected, as well as the mitigation measures for the protection of the environment
- Scoring of delays / calculation of penalties
- Writing of all reports, producing and transmitting weekly progress reports to the steering committee
- Proposal for provisional acceptance of the works
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree (Bachelor's) in hydraulics, Civil Engineering, Rural Engineering and / or in management or in a relevant discipline;
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries is required;
- Professional experience in project management would be an asset;
- Experience in infrastructure monitoring works, analyzing tender documents and technical studies;
- Good knowledge of operating and maintenance systems for water and sanitation infrastructures;
- Excellent reporting, reporting, email, writing, project execution and communication skills;
- Ability and availability to go to the field () and to work in a restrictive environment;
- Ability to work under pressure and / or in an emergency;
- Ability to work within a multicultural and multidisciplinary team;
- Good knowledge of the Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Fluency in French and Creole. Knowledge of English would be an asset;
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The Functional Competencies Required For This Post Are
- Builds and maintains partnerships (I)
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness (I)
- Innovates and embraces change (I)
- Drives to achieve results for impact (I)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (I)
- Thinks and acts strategically (I)
- Works collaboratively with others (I)
View Our Competency Framework
Competency Framework Brochure.pdf
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process. THIS VACANCY IS OPEN TO HAITIANS NATIONALS ONLY.
Votre candidature a été soumise avec succès.
UNICEF works in over 190 countries and territories to save children's lives, to defend their rights, and to help them fulfil their potential, from ear...